Tuesday, January 31, 2012

felt flower pin

Today I'm linking up with Mrs. to Mama for the DIY craft of the month.  I'll admit I haven't been very crafty lately since I've been home with the babies because let's face it..... they're a lot of work sometimes.
So this month I've decided to made a felt flower pin for the month of January since Valentine's Day is right around the corner.  I love to pin these little flowers on everything: jackets, shirts, presents!!! Without further ado, here is my project and instructions:

Materials:
  • 6" strips of felt in varying widths from 1.5" to 2.5"
  • Straight Pins
  • Small sewing scissors
  • Sewing needle and thread
  • Hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • Buttons
  • Pin backings

Cost of getting started: about $20 if you don't have any supplies.

1. Fold one of the wider strips of felt in half lengthwise and pin the edges together. Cut a series of slits along the length of the folded side.  Thread your needle with a like color and sew the cut edge.



2. As you sew, gently tug the thread so the sewn edge gathers tightly and the strip begins to form a circular shape.  Cut of any excess felt leaving the needle and thread still attached.  Sew a running stitch back through the sewn edge to keep the gather in place.

3. Join the two ends together by folding the circle in half, forming a U shape with the ends matching up.  Sew up about a third of the way and knot the thread and cut.

4. Unfold the flower and press it flat. If you want, you can add another layer to the flower.  Hot glue them together.  I cut a circular piece of fabric and hot glue it between the petals.

5.  Sew a button onto the front of the flower stitching all the way through the felt circle. (I also hot glued an extra button on top.) Glue a pin backing on the back and let dry.

Voila! 


I liked this project so much, I think I'll make more and have a giveaway on Friday.

Thanks Becky for starting the year of fun DIY projects!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing how to actually do it! I would love to actually try this out, and I actually have a lot of the supplies! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cute! I need to make some for my niece!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts